Friday, October 30, 2009

Past Week

Sorry for the delay in writing. My boyfriend came into town for the past week so I was hanging out with him and showing him the city. (Which he loved). The night he landed we took the tube back from the airport, which took about an hour and a half from door to door. Well airstrip to flat door. I felt bad because he hadn't slept the night before and was on the plane and then stayed up late here. (Brining him back to the airport when he left, he said he didn't really remember the tube ride to my flat when he first got here). We put his stuff down in my apartment, made him some food and then walked up to the river so he could look around for a little bit and to see what the river looked like at night.
Here he is with Parliament behind him. The next morning for one of my classes I had to go to a museum, so Dan ended up coming with me to look around. The museum was okay. There were a lot of artifacts there which isn't really something I am interested in but my favorite part was the aquarium downstairs. The jellyfish case was the best, even though I hate them so much. They are really pretty creatures, although they hurt a lot when stung.
Later that day for work I had to go to another museum with some of the students. We went to the Imperial War Museum, which covers WWI and WWII. The different types of machines and planes that they used during these wars were pretty awesome. The only part I didn't like was the children of war exhibition. It just made me sad how so many children were separated from their parents during the war. Although because of it, some of the children led a better life outside of the city in the countryside. Below is a picture of the main lobby in the museum with all the machines.
Thursday consisted of Dan attending my afternoon class, since he slept in while I went to my morning class. Afterwards we took the train to London Bridge Station and walked home from there. It took about 45 minutes to an hour to walk back. But that's because we took our time. We walked a little bit across the Millennium Bridge and there was an art piece in the window outside the Tate Modern Art Gallery, which was lit up with orange. I saw somebody else taking pictures in front of it, so Dan and I did the same thing.
The rest of his trip here we just hung around the city, going out to eat, seeing a few movies and just spending time together. For your viewing pleasure, a picture of the two of us waiting at the bus stop. We were on our way to see Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs. (Great movie by the way).
After the movie, since all the food falling from the sky made us hungry, we went for sushi. My favorite, favorite place to eat sushi in London is a place called Yo! Sushi. You go inside and there is a conveyor belt running around the tables that have different pieces of sushi sitting on them. You pick up the ones you want and then keep the little tray it came on to be counted at the end. Each different colored tray is a different price. So it can add up pretty quickly. It is really good though. I hope they bring it to the United States at some point. I think there might be one in Boston, but hopefully D.C will get their own at some point.
The night before Dan left, we went to the London Ice Bar. It's inside but made completely out of ice. They give you big hooded capes to wear, gloves and our drinks came in cups made of ice. It was pretty cool. Literally. You could only stay in the bar for 40 minutes though because it is so cold in there. Apparently they change the design of it every three months, so maybe I can go again to see what it looks like next time. This time is was decorated to look like you were underwater. Being in a room though made totally of ice, it gave you this odd feeling. Kind of like you were floating. Maybe it was the fact that I was supposed to feel like I was underwater anyways.
Here is a picture of the street that the Ice Bar was on. It was really cute. Lined with tons of different places to eat.
Bringing Dan to the airport was really hard. I didn't want to have him leave. But I know he will be back in December with my friend Rob. Dan and I are also going to Greece and Italy in April for about two weeks before I fly home for my dad's wedding. So I get to spend time with him then. The day after Dan left I had classes and then a walk in Brick Lane to take pictures. Here are two of my favorite ones that I took. The last one is a panoramic of a wall that is completely covered in graffiti. The people who write on this wall are allowed to. It's a local project. I love and miss you all. xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment